Sunday, May 23, 2010

Two world wars, 16 American presidents, 30 Norwegian prime ministers, three daughters, ten grandchildren and six great grandchildren: Rest in peace, grandma!


I came back from my grandma's funeral last night. She lived her entire life in the eastern part of Norway, and that's also where she was buried. She had reached a respectable age - she turned 95 in March - so this wasn't exactly what you would refer to as a tragic death. For the same reason, her death could hardly be called unexpected either, but somehow it still was. I guess that's what happens when one reaches a certain age - they start to look immortal.

My grandmother was always this active, sharp, witty lady. She lived in her big three floor house with my grandfather until she was well past 90, and none of them were particularly keen on moving into the senior center where they lived her last couple of years. What do I know - maybe that move was what started the downfall. The truth is that she changed after moving into the small apartment down the street from their old house. But that could also be due to my grandpa and the way he started to forget more and more, so that grandma had to keep saying the same things over and over again. I guess that gets to you after a while.

I will always remember my grandma as the funny, warm, generous woman that she was all the 33 years I had the privilege of knowing her. As a kid, I spent every summer at my grandparen't house with my family, and I remember the summers as endless days of sun, badminton, water sprinklers, strawberries and cakes and waffles in the garden. I can never remember that it rained, although it must have. In the evenings we watched MTV or crime shows, which was paradise for kids who grew up with no TV at home. My grandma was an amazing story teller, and I loved listening to all the funny real life stories she told us.

Now there will be no more stories. Rest in peace, grandma, this one's for you.

No comments: