Friday, September 10, 2010

I'll take what I can get

So, this is what my life has become.

I turned 34 three days ago, and I just have to face it: I'm not in my spring of youth anymore. I remember a time when receiving attention from guys was not that uncommon. I remember appreciative looks. I remember beeing mistaken for one of my high school students. I remember it very vividly - it's not that long ago. But it is definitely something that mostly belongs to the past.

So, yesterday I was parking the car outside the grocery store, my two sons in the backseat, unusually warm September day, window open. A scruffy-looking drunkard, unshaved, dressed like a bum, in his sixties, passes outside the car, stops, looks at me, and shouts: "You're gorgeous!" As I get out of the car, he repeats: "You're gorgeous! But don't tell your husband that I said it - this will be our little secret".

I thank him, promise to keep it a secret and enter the store with my two sons and a lifted spirit. Shaking my head, yet smiling, I think to myself: This is what my life has become: I actually get happy from a compliment from a drunk guy in his sixties. What the heck - I'll take what I can get.

No comments: